Why Advocacy Matters
The decision by the Queensland State government to cease funding independent advocacy for people with disabilities from the 1st July 2019 is highly concerning for Queenslanders with disabilities, their families and allies.
At the end of June 2019 the Queensland Government is set to handover its disability budget to the Commonwealth Government. This includes the annual state advocacy budget. Disability advocacy organisations across Queensland, which collectively receive less than $2 million annually will have their funding discontinued. This includes SUFY who receives one third of their funding from the state government. The loss of this funding would significantly impact on how SUFY operates and would reduce the number of people who could access independent advocacy.
#AdvocacyMatters is a statewide campaign to ensure this vital funding is not lost.
Please join us in letting all Queensland politicians know that #AdvocacyMatters.
There are a number of ways you can take action:
- Sign our online Petition Click here to Sign Now
- With the State Election happening, now is the time to visit your local member and other candidates running in your electorate and tell them why #AdvocacyMattersto you. Remember to take a copy of the #AdvocacyMatters Position Paper with you.
- Write to your local state member and other candidates running in your electorate and tell them why #AdvocacyMattersto you. If you need a hand writing this letter please give us a call. We are happy to help.
- Help spread the word and raise awareness online by following facebook.com/AdvocacyMattersQld/
- Take a picture with the #AdvocacyMatters sign and share it on our Facebook Page with a comment on why #AdvocacyMatters to you.
NDIS Appeals/Advocate| Speaking Up For You Inc.
The Precinct, Unit F2, 1st Floor, 12 Browning Street, West End | P.O. Box 5649 West End QLD 4101
Ph. 32551244 Fax. 32551266 | Visit our website www.sufy.org.au