Welcome to Module 1: Introduction to Intellectual Disability.
Training participants new to the disability field are asked to complete Module 1 prior to undertaking Modules 2 or 3. People with established knowledge and experience are strongly encouraged to complete Module 1 as a contemporary refresher, prior to undertaking Modules 2 and 3.
The learning outcomes of Module 1 are improved knowledge and understanding of:
- Definitions and prevalence of intellectual disability;
- Lived experience of intellectual disability, including historical, social, and personal functioning dimensions; and
- Helpful practices for supporting people with intellectual disability in daily life.
Tips for completing Module 1
- This module includes a number of topics and will take approximately 2 hours to complete. You are free to work through the module at your own pace.
- Written factsheets of the six topics can be downloaded and printed before or after you complete each topic. To download factsheets click on the links at the top of the module. Alternatively, you may like to record your own notes in a notebook or on a piece of paper.
- Please proceed through the topics in numerical order. Each topic includes a series of tasks (or steps) for you to complete. Please work through these steps in numerical order.
- Many topics include a “Personal Reflection Task”. You may like to record your thoughts in a notebook or on a piece of paper.
- To adjust the speed of the training videos (to play them faster or slower), click on the cog symbol at the bottom of the video screen and select “Speed”. To play the video at a faster speed, select 1.25, 1.5 or 2. To play the video at a slower speed select 0.5 or 0.25.
- For subtitles/closed captioning, click on the cog symbol at the bottom of the video screen and select “Subtitles/CC”, followed by “English (auto-generated)”.
- Please complete the feedback questionnaire at the end of the Module to assist our ongoing review and development of this training.
Topic 1: What is Intellectual Disability
STEP 1: Watch this Video – “What is Intellectual Disability”
Step 2: Watch this video – “Talking About Intellectual Disability”
Step 3: Personal Reflection:
How do interview participants describe their experience of intellectual disability?
Topic 2: Stigma
STEP 1: Watch this Video – “Stigma”
Topic 3: Social Disadvantage
STEP 1: Watch this Video – “Social Disadvantage”
Step 2: Please read the following case studies and complete the personal reflection – Case Study 2 PDF
Topic 4: Personal Functioning and Communication
STEP 1: Watch this Video – “Personal Functioning and Communication”
Step 2: Personal Reflection
How might common personal functioning and communication needs of people with intellectual disability present barriers to people accessing services from your agency; and/or assistance from you as a support person?
Topic 5: Addressing the Communication Barrier
STEP 1: Watch this Video – “Addressing the Communication Barrier”
Step 2: Personal Reflection
What changes could you make to your support practices and/or agency processes to better support the needs of clients with intellectual disability?
Topic 6: Navigating Everyday Life
STEP 1: Watch this Video – “Navigating Everyday Life”
STEP 2: Watch this Video – “Advice to Workers”
Step 3: Personal Reflection
Identify one piece of advice you will implement or improve in your work with people with intellectual disability?
How will you do this?