WWILD Disability Training Program – Victims of Crime
Victims of Crime Support Workers can provide support to people with an intellectual disability who have been a victim of crime, or to their family, workers or supporters.
This may involve:
- Talking to the person about options
- Explaining police and court processes
- Supporting them to make their own choices/decisions
- Provide information to family/supporters to do the above.
- Assist them to find appropriate counsellors where required.
- Support people to improve their own safety
- Provide ongoing support throughout the legal process where appropriate
- Providing advocacy in legal and service systems to help them recover from the crime.
- Providing information to family members and supporters on how to support someone who has been a victim of crime and what they might expect.
- Assistance to make an application for financial assistance under the Victims of Crime Assistance Act 2009.
Victims of crime individual support is available in the Brisbane North, Brisbane South and Logan, and the Moreton Bay region.
Information, advice and referral is available Queensland-wide.