WWILD’s Royal Commission Project into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability
WWILD is being subcontracted by Micah Projects, to offer counselling and case management support to people who want to talk about the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability.
WWILD can support people with an intellectual or learning disability or their supporters to:
- Tell their story to the Disability Royal Commission
- Help understand and protect their rights and understand how they can talk to people who work there
- Assist with counselling or get more ongoing community based support in supporting emotional well-being and recovery from trauma.
WWILD can provide support to people in Greater Brisbane, Moreton Bay Region, Logan and Redlands.
WWILD can provide medium term counselling support to anyone with an intellectual or learning disability or their supporters, who are impacted by the Disability Royal Commission.
Counselling support allows people to:
- Discuss feelings and thoughts in a safe and confidential place
- Work through a problem or issue
- Make an informed choice about telling their story to the Disability Royal Commission
- Support people through the process of making a submission if they wish
- Find other supports they might need
WWILD can also provide medium term case management support to anyone with an intellectual or learning disability or their supporters who are impacted by the Disability Royal Commission.
Case management support can include:
- Talking to people about all of their options
- Talking about the different ways a person can make a submission and assisting with that, if they wish.
- Providing information and supporting people to access other services they might need
- Supporting people to improve their own physical and emotional safety
Our Royal Commission Counsellor is Victoria Reid.
Our Royal Commission Case Manager is Siobhan Gibbs.
Please contact WWILD on 07- 3262 9877 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to make a referral.
WWILD’s Policy Submissions to the Disability Royal Commission
Recommended Disability Royal Commission’s Research Reports and Issues Papers:
Violence and Abuse of People with a Disability – Issues Paper, Published December 2020
Police Responses to People with Disability – Research report written by Leanne Dowse, Simone Rowe, Eileen Baldry and Michael Baker from the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Published October 2021